Sunday, April 13, 2014
Clmiate Change; or The Ruskies are a-Commin'
Let's start with a paste from the wonderful blog "I Blame the Patriarchy":
A propos of the globalization of hateriffic American family values, here’s an entertaining game we like to call “Spot The Russian Law.” Of the 3 following actual statutes, one is Russian and the others are Texan and Arizonian. If you can tell which is which I’ll eat a Cool Whip taco.
No district shall include in its course of study instruction which:
1. Promotes a homosexual life-style.
2. Portrays homosexuality as a positive alternative life-style.
3. Suggests that some methods of sex are safe methods of homosexual sex.
Prohibits distribution of information that is aimed at:
1. The formation among minors of nontraditional sexual attitudes
2. Attractiveness of non-traditional sexual relations
3. Misconceptions of the social equivalence between traditional and non-traditional sexual relations
4. Enforcing information about non-traditional sexual relations that evokes interest in such relations
The materials in the education programs intended for persons younger than 18 years of age must:
1. Emphasize sexual abstinence before marriage and fidelity in marriage as the expected standard in terms of public health and the most effective ways to prevent HIV infection, sexually transmitted diseases, and unwanted pregnancies
2. State that homosexual conduct is not an acceptable lifestyle and is a criminal offense under Section 21.06, Penal Code
Number 1 — Arizona. Number 2 — Russia. Number 3 —Texas. Note that in its item #2, the Texas statute references the illegal but still unrepealed law characterizing “homosexual conduct” as a criminal offense. The eyes of Texas are upon you.
Ok, now you also may have noticed that in Congress the GOP is pushing bills to ramp up the exportation of liquified natural gas as well as conventional petroleum, in order to somehow "wean" Europe off of its dependence on Russian energy. And you may also have noticed that in the chronicling of continuing global climate change we have passed new milestones, in particular CO2 is now at 400 ppm in the atmosphere, pretty much constantly. There is also continuing pressure from Congress to ok the Keystone Pipeline. And in many states (including North Carolina), legislatures are pushing to remove all barriers to the fracking process, no matter the consequences known and unknown.
But did you know that fracking releases huge quantities of methane, which is many times more potent as a green house gas than CO2? And did you know that the natural gas industry has been selling itself as a "bridge to a greener future" since the early 1980s. And have you noticed that the natural gas industry is a major sponsor of MSNBC.
I'm hoping to illustrate a larger point here. Do you see what it is? The lies are a flood, too numerous to even manage to counter, one by one. There aren't enough fingers to plug the dike.