Friday, December 23, 2016

Happy Christmas


This song was the number one Christmas song in Ireland in 1988 (more or less). It's certainly the number one adult Christmas song of our time. Once you get over all the sugar canes and chestnuts roasting and all that. Given America's Christmas Present to the World this year, Shane and Kirsty nailed it pretty fine. I find the song wonderful and heartbreaking. Here's the heartbreaking part:

I could have been someone
Well, so could anyone
You took my dreams
From me when I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you


As MacGowan says, it's a duet aria. The man lies. The woman tells the truth.



Have another drink. It's almost Christmas Eve around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment